Monday 5 March 2012

Upping the tension

Ovingham
Take a deep breath and go to this site today: here It belongs to Nicola Morgan, and there are two novel extracts up for comments.

In this day and age I think nerves of steel are required to put work up so openly and, given the occasional ill-natured comments that crop up on Amazon reviews these days, putting work up in this fashion could be said to be begging for  nasty comments!

On the other hand, I'm sure there will be good advice too, and  I'll be popping back to see what is offered in the way of constructive criticism throughout the day. Initially I must go into town, but once I'm home again, I'll keep checking. and I must do some more editing.

I'm up to chapter eighteen in editing my first Matho story, and I've taken out at least a couple of thousand words . In many places it's simply because I've smoothed out and combined two sentences into one.  I've also removed odd snippets of information (accurate and interesting) that are not really relevant to the story I'm telling. Aiming for clarity is always intriguing, and of course I kow my characters so much better now than I did when I was first writing thestory, so I've been able to up the tension in places. Maybe there's a whole blog post in that phrase, but I don't have time to go into it now - maybe Wednesday!

No comments:

A worrying thought

  We have recently taken on a new satellite box which allows access to things like UKTV play and others. Scanning the offerings, I notice ho...