Monday 14 December 2009

Barnard Castle once again


I found the pics I thought I had lost!

When I recharged the camera battery, they simply reappeared, so here are my pics of Barnard Castle, famously one of Richard III's homes for the ten years or so 1474-1485. The walls enclose a large area, and loom over a sharp drop to the River Tees on the south side. We didn't go in as it was cold, windy and I wasn't up to staying long enough to justify the £4 entrance fee, but on another day - hopefully a warm, sunny day, it will be on my list of places to visit.
It is curious that the whole town goes by the name of the Castle, and it is certainly a town that repays walking about in it, for there are lots of old houses and buildings, and intriguing side streets to follow.
I'll add more pics over the next week or so.

1 comment:

Keena Kincaid said...

I visited Barnard Castle (town and keep) a few years ago, and going inside the castle, on a nice day, is well worth the cost. The grounds are lovely, and enough of the castle remains to get a good idea of how people lived and moved through it.

Plus there are excellent views of the town from the wall. From one of them, I spied a pub, where I went and had a late lunch.

A worrying thought

  We have recently taken on a new satellite box which allows access to things like UKTV play and others. Scanning the offerings, I notice ho...