Tuesday 31 July 2007

The End


This is probably my final picture of Cragside to show the rest of the south elevation. I couldn't get it all in one picture as I could the north side, because I couldn't stand far enough away from it.
I think I've done all I can do with the Viking story, so I'm going to stop tinkering with it and try to sell it. It is very hard to stop tweaking, adjusting, layering - I shall have to be very firm with myself.

One way to do it is to get immersed in something else, and I have several projects just waiting for me to dive into. I've got one story going through a critique group now, and though no one has come right out and said it, I know it is meandering all over the place. I need to lop off bits at the front to bring the action right to the forefront, introduce the h/h in a more attention grabbing way and then decide exactly what my main conflict(s) are going to be between these two.

The first draft was a delight to write, so I hope I can hang onto the frothy skin and just underlay it with a good, believable skeleton.

1 comment:

Kate Hardy said...

Lovely pics and you've brought back very happy memories for me of our family holiday in Northumbria.

Sympathies on the toothache. Been there myself recently - Panadol is VERY good for the pain, but codeine makes me fuzzy and is NOT conducive to writing!

To my shame...

The Best Books of 2023: Historical Fiction (according to Waterstones.) The Fraud by Zadie Smith Taking inspiration from a real-life ninetee...